- Know who you’re dealing with, especially if it’s about an unsolicited prize or gift offer. Don’t trust a message like: “Congratulations, you just won $1,000 in a foreign lottery!”
- Research an offer to be sure it’s real. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Remember that wiring money is like sending cash. When you send it, it’s gone - you can’t get it back.
Wire money to someone you don’t know - Never!
- Deposit a check from someone who tells you to send some of the money back to them.
- Wire money to a relative in crisis without checking out the story first. Ask questions to verify the person’s identity.
- Send money to receive money.